[OpenAFS] vos move & vos rel failing on large volumes

Mitch Collinsworth mitch@ccmr.cornell.edu
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 08:45:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Todd DeSantis wrote:

> I am glad you found at least one fileserver machine that had
> a faulty setup with its duplex settings.  Over the years we
> have found that the auto-negotiate settings for cards/switches
> was not behaving properly and that you need to physically
> make the settings.

This seems to be a common misperception about auto-negotiation.
Lee said they had one end set to auto and the other to full.  This
is a recipe for disaster.  Both ends worked as designed, but the
design doesn't and can't handle this situation.  The auto-negotiation
protocol says essentially "If my setting is auto and the other end
is not negotiating, I must be conservative and select half-duplex".
This is for backwards compatibility with products that came out
before the auto-negotiation spec.

Auto-negotiation works fine when both ends are set to auto or
when one end is set to half.  Auto-negotiation can't know what
to do when one end is set to full because the set-to-full end
gives no feedback to the end attempting to negotiate, hence it
doesn't know the other end is really full and not half.

-Mitch