[OpenAFS] AFS from NFS Mount

Tim C. tim@umbc.edu
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 21:16:41 -0400 (EDT)

> > Okay. Interesting.  I thought it was a long-standing rule (don't ask
> > where I got this from) that you couldn't use an NFS-mounted filesystem
> > as a vice partition on a fileserver.  We're running Solaris and have
> > some Network Appliance Filers running around.  So you're saying that I
> > could mount share from the filer on my Solaris 8 fileserver and make
> > that my vice partition?
>
> your afs clients will be sad when reads block if nfs gets sad, but using
> nfs behind namei should at least be possible.

  Just some thoughts from my expirience...  It seemed to work okay using
iname fileserver 1.2.7 on a linux box.  It had decent access time and
such.  The problem I had was when either the nfs server, or the
fileserver crashed.  It nearly destroyed all the data, crashed the fs
process, and just was generally really pissed at me and took a lot of
coaxing to even come back up.  So be sure to test this kinda problem
before you even think about putting it in to production. ;)
  Perhaps it was just my setup, or things have been done in later
version to fix it, but... ;)

Tim

Tim Craig            These are my opinions and not my employers. :)
OIT-Systems
tim@umbc.edu         It's hard to be serious when you're
                       naked. - Garfield