[OpenAFS] OpenAFS on Linux 2.5.x

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 16:17:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Derek Atkins wrote:

> You mean in terms of inserting ourselves into the sys_call_table?  Or
> are you referring to something else?

That's one example. Something needs to happen for PAGs also, and us
hooking the setgroups/getgroups calls is really the wrong answer.

> I don't think all the kernel people are treating "us" that way --
> although there are certainly a few pundits who do.

The ones who might add code to the kernel:
-have not added ours
-have not offered hint of what they might add
-have not added their own version for us to attempt to conform to.

You might argue we're about as unresponsive, but I can think of but one
example of that: David Howells' RPC proposals. I suggested as one
implementation the OpenAFS community had no business deciding what was
justified to add, and that the afs3-protocol list would be a better place
for such discussion.

Unless I was dropped, no such discussion has happened. His proposals were
and probably still are worth implementing, even if our client is in no
danger of using them.

Everything else is handled, or at least we admit we don't understand how
to deal yet, as quickly as we can. I'm still waiting to figure out what's
going to happen with Linux 2.(x>=5) 6+ months after I broached it, and far
longer after other people did.

"We haven't had time to deal with you" would be a fine explanation, but
I've seen nothing to indicate benign neglect rather than hostility as a
motive. If it is, then I will offer apologies.

And again, incidentally, I'm wearing nobody's hat but my own when I say
this; I put in (my own) time as a Linux developer, and as such I do
(despite perhaps not being entitled to) have an opinion.

-D