[OpenAFS] OpenAFS on Linux 2.5.x

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 11:02:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, chas williams wrote:

> In message <Pine.LNX.4.53.0304161028171.26304@scully.trafford.dementia.org>,Der
> rick J Brashear writes:
> >this still has an air of "flaky" about it. still, if we can do it without
> >relying on any kernel resources being provided it will help insulate
> >against changes adversely affecting us.
>
> i dont know.  it seems about as flaky as tacking on groups to a process
> by patching the system calls (ngroups being a rather limited and abused
> resource at times).   the previously mentioned scheme would be a bit cleaner

well, given that a bounded set of things modify that, we can actually trap
all the cases, so i'd argue it's not flaky, but sure, it's crappy.

> i do see a litte member in the 2.5 kernel task_struct though that seems
> interesting -- from linux/sched.h:

>         int (*notifier)(void *priv);
>         void *notifier_data;
>         sigset_t *notifier_mask;
>
>         void *security;

the above is the selinux (i think) stuff which was supposedly going to get
pulled back out. if not, we can use it, but i don't want to code for it
and then have it not make 2.6.

> /* Thread group tracking */
>         u32 parent_exec_id;
>         u32 self_exec_id;
>
> fork seems to set this to NULL.  its probably meant to be part of the
> security plugin nonsense.  however, i suppose openafs could borrow it.

if they're going to leave it.