[OpenAFS] OpenAFS on Linux 2.5.x

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 11:47:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> writes:
>
> > > Why not just work with them if we want openafs included ?
> >
> > No argument there, but they declared feature freeze, meaning in theory
> > that nothing gets to be done until after 2.6, because what we need would
> > be a "feature"
>
> I think you're over-estimating how frozen the code is since "feature
> freeze".  I was able to get my NAT Traversal code added a couple weeks
> ago.  The "freeze" is for _MAJOR_ changes.  I don't think this is a
> major change, so I think it could get added.

That may be.

> To whom?  What was their response?  If it blackholed, did you follow
> up with them?

linux-kernel. no responses from anyone "interesting", but a good bit of
other discussion. other things fell out since then, which i've been
waiting to see what pans out.

> > > Then you USUALY will get it included. Especialy if you make it a
> > > compile time option.
> >
> > Ok then. So, I played and lost. Do you have a suggestion that works?
>
> Usually it just requires being persistent.  I did have to re-write my
> NAT Traversal patch three times before it was accepted....  But it was
> eventually accepted and it's now in Linus' tree.

this was a simple patch. how many ways can i write something that exports
a system call hook, given that it worked exactly the same as the one that
already was in the tree at that time for nfssrvctl?