[OpenAFS] OpenAFS on Linux 2.5.x

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 09:00:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 jon+openafs@silicide.dk wrote:

> > > What work have the ARLA people been doing ? Do they have
> > > a working client? perhaps one that can be modified ?
> >
> > Last time I talked to people their linux development was languishing a
> > bit. I assume they're in about the same spot we are.
>
> Maybe we could make a joint venture?

Most of our system call problems are ours alone. pioctl is an exception.
For compatibility with current (end-user) clients (vos, pts, fs, etc)
pioctl would need to be retained.

Whichever of Arla, Coda or OpenAFS gets a PAG solution first will
undoubtedly share with the other 2.

> > See yesterday's discussion on process management. I don't want to give
> > away my tokens.
>
> why would a suggestion like mine give away your tokens? Unless there
> was a bug. One could make a tree for each user to store the data in,
> then 2 users should have 0 chance of being mixed up.

what happens when a pid exits, but gets reused? your suggestion basically
provides no way to notice it went away.