[OpenAFS] OpenAFS on Linux 2.5.x

chas williams chas@locutus.cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 12:04:33 -0400

In message <20030417154324.GC4441@gw.silicide.dk>,jon+openafs@silicide.dk write
s:
>> that being said, i think it would be enough to produce a mapping between
>> PAGs and the process group leader's pid, uid, and start_time.  start_time
>> wouldnt be necessary if you could track when a process group ended but
>> alas that is not possible.
>
>why is that not possible. Add some code in the process handling
>area, that updates our data. This should be triggered when a
>process dies. You have to clean up the memory it has used anyway.

oh they would probably be loathe to add something like this although it
does exist in the 2.5 tree (see the profiling code).  however, with the
above information, you could have a little timer that ran once in a while
and clean expired PAGs and pgrp's that no longer exist (pgrp's whose
pid/uid/start_time have changed).  thinking about it, every process is
probably uniquely identified by pid and start_time (which is jiffies based).
anyway, this idea would work w/o changes to the current kernel sources.