[OpenAFS] OpenAFS on Linux 2.5.x

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 13:09:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, Derrick J Brashear wrote:

> -pioctl. not sure what the right answer is

Depends.  Much of what we use pioctl for is actually cache manager
configuration and status.  It would make sense to do that in proc, or even
in sysctl.  Of course, it would also make sense for the code to continue
to use the consistent, cross-platform interface that has served us well
since the 1980's, instead of having to invent a huge new mess on every
platform.

But some of what we use pioctl for is indeed control operations on paths,
rather than open files.  Things like manipulating ACL's and mount points,
triggering prefetching, and so on.  For those, the obvious answer is
indeed pioctl.  We'd like our syscall, please.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer