[OpenAFS] vos release needs a very long time

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 11:46:33 -0700

Klaas Hagemann <kerberos@northsailor.de> writes:

> To do a vos release on them takes a very, very long time (up to 10 minutes
> or even longer). The Size of such a volume is round about 2100k.

Just to double-check, do you have any PTS groups that contain a very large
(>1000) number of users that are listed on the ACLs of those volumes?
Transarc AFS used to have serious problems with volume release speed for
such volumes; I don't know if OpenAFS has fixed that problem.

> There are more than 6000 accesses on such a volume. There are 8 read
> only replicas of the volume.

That's a lot of replicas.  I wouldn't be too surprised at a long release
time for that many replicas, particularly if each of the replica servers
has to break callbacks to hosts that are down or slow to respond.

6,000 accesses isn't very many at all, unless you're talking about that
many accesses over a period of about 10 minutes.