[OpenAFS] max. Volsize

Aufsattler aufsattler@rz.uni-mannheim.de
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 12:45:36 +0200

Derrick J Brashear wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Aufsattler wrote:
>

>>The OpenAFS Documentation states the volumes can be as big as the
>>partition on which they reside.
>>The OpenAFS Project Plan states under Proposed-Projects :
>>    "Support for files over 2gb and large volumes (limit is currently
>> >8gb for volumes)"
>>
>>Since we are experiencing sporadic problems with volumes langer than
>>16GB on 40GB partitions can someone tell me what the current maximum
>>volume-size is ?  I couldn't find any header-file which seems to pose a
>>limit on volume-size.
>>

>That's because there is none. Tell us about your problems?

Derrik, thanks for your instant reply,

a group of users who share a 20GB Volume reported "file-system full"
error-messages
when they tried to create files of several-hundred KB. The volume's
maxquota initially was set to
20000000,  at the time of he errormessage the volume was filled up to
85%. The Partition
wax filled to 38%. The users work with the AFS-Client for Windows
(1.2.8a). I tried to
replicate the error on my linux-box and got the same error-message. Then
I set maxquota to 0
and copied several 600 MB Files to the same volume which succeeded
without any problems.
After re-establishing the 20000000 maxquota value I copied the same
600MB files again.
This succeded as well. Up to now the error has'nt occured again. However
I'm a little bit worried
because volume-sizes of most other users grow quite rapidly as well.

Our afs-cell is in production since 1995. We never had similar problems
before - maybe because we never had volumes of that size before. Since
Oct. 2002 we run 7 linux (redhat 7.3) fileservers all connected to a
hitachi-lightning 9980 storage and 3 afs-database servers. AFS-version
on all servers is currently openafs 1.2.7.

Until last week I was convinced that AFS doesn't impose any -
practically relevant - volume-size limits whatsoever. The above cited
"Proposed Project" somehow confused my conviction. I'd be glad if you
can reassure me on that matter.

Thanks
Werner Aufsattler