[OpenAFS] OpenAFS vs NFSv4?

Rodney M Dyer rmdyer@uncc.edu
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 13:17:06 -0400

At 12:00 PM 4/28/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>Well, though not as clean as AFS, the clients don't have to connect to
>a single network end-point. Any NAS head in the cluster can service the
>the client, even if the information is not on that NAS head.  And, if the
>back-end storage is on a SAN, then any NAS head can cover for a failing
>NAS head. Basically they've put the "AFS client code" on the heads instead
>of the individual clients.

That's just great <sarcasm>.  It's always so good to know that I'm doubling
my network bandwidth by using a gateway product...  Or, even better,
needing to add yet another network infrastructure to support the back-end
SAN network.  No wonder IT costs are going through the roof.  No one wants
to invest in doing it right the first time, and developing "infrastructure"
around it.  Things should get easier as we go along, not -more- complex.

Rodney