[OpenAFS] re: my afs wish list

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 13:43:00 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Dean Anderson wrote:

> > -Multiple encryption types. For real, not just jury-rigged into rxkad.
>
> You mean something like "rxblowfishd" (the ka means kerberos
> authentication, right...)  I was looking at the RX spec last week. It
> seems that there are hooks just for this. Unfortunatly, there seem to be
> some hints in the rest of the afs code that use rkaxd specific headers and
> functions.

Not really. I mean rxgss for instance. It's possible to have a security
class with more than one encryption type supported by it. rxkad just
isn't set up to be that class. Don't look for it, there's no
implementation yet.

> > -Large file support. We actually got there, and had to back it out because
> > of some problems. There's hope...
>
> Is this in CVS? What tag?  Is there a writeup/description of the problems?

Not tagged. In the archives of openafs-devel.

> Someone mentioned something last week about 16 gig volumes on 40 gig
> partitions....

Large files are not large volumes.

> I have come across recently some "AFS 4.0" presentations given by Transarc
> back in the DCE process. (I used to work for OSF back in the 89-91). I
> might be able to scan these in. Or send a xerox to someone who will. They
> are somewhat high level, but informative. As anyone with DCE experience
> knows, there were major changes with DFS, but there were some good ideas.
> Like for example a logging volume package (called episode).  Since there

Sure, but I don't think we can have episode for free; We'd have to rewrite
it.

> are a number of logging filesystems out there now, perhaps one of them can
> be modified or used as a guide for be a volume replacement.  I don't

Which, though?