[OpenAFS] my afs wish list

David Bear David.Bear@asu.edu
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 17:09:29 -0700

I've been following the discussion here regarding AFS and plugable
auth methods and encryption.  I find it interesting.  And, it is more
interesting that nobody has mentioned anything about a better windows
client.  Possible intereprations are (1) I'm the only one that has
problems with it (2) all the AFS developers are UNIX guys and don't
care much for support windows clients -- (3) some intersection of 1
and 2...

I realize that I'm a beggar -- it would take years for me to be able
to contribute any code to the afs base.  But, since AFS has worked so
well on linux, I would really like to see better integration in the
windows realm.  Especially since 95% of all my users are windows
users.

And the A number 1 thing that I hate about afs on windows is that it
uses the smbserver and generates lots of noise in the log files about
unable to determine smb type, or failures to start in some profiles
but not others, or how it selects serverprefs different for linux, ...

I'm complaining -- and that does no good.  But, there are an order of
magnitude more windows boxes here to support than linux --
--
David Bear
College of Public Programs/ASU