[OpenAFS] openafs without pam

Andrei Boros andrei@srr.ro
Mon, 04 Aug 2003 11:56:54 +0300

Tino Schwarze wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 11:34:26AM +0300, Andrei Boros wrote:
>
> >  Is there any way of compiling and running openafs without pam in the
> > system ?
>
> You do not need PAM to use OpenAFS. You cannot integrate AFS
> authentication into your login process then (or not easily) - your users
> would need to be authenticated locally and then issue "klog" manually
> plus enter their AFS password.
>
> Why do you want to avoid PAM?

My planned deployment is a linux that will be the server and the rest of
the clients will be windows boxes.
My system does not have PAM installed (neither in the distro).
As some drivers prevent me from upgrading from kernel 2.2 to 2.4, I
cannot reinstall the system with a new version of the distro
(Slackware).
I don't want to install something that will modify the authentication
mechanisms in the system.

If there is absolutely now way to do it without losing functionality
and/or severe hacking and extensive workarounds, I will install PAM.
It's only that I'd rather avoid this, if possible.

Thank you.

--
ing. Andrei Boros
mailto:andrei@srr.ro / +40-21-303-1870