[OpenAFS] openafs without pam

Andrei Boros andrei@srr.ro
Mon, 04 Aug 2003 12:10:37 +0300

Tino Schwarze wrote:

> How are you going to authenticate the Windows boxes? If you're going to
> use Samba as a translator, you probably need PAM.
Which then would mean recompiling Samba as well.

Currently Samba is domain controller and does the authentication. But I
can do without it (actually AFS is intended to be a complete replacement
for the SMB protocol)

> If the Windows boxes
> will get native clients, you won't need PAM.
They will.

> For administrative tasks,
> you can authenticate manually (and there's no need for an AFS server to
> be a client at all, it's usually useful though).
>
> I think, you only need PAM if some service on the server needs to
> authenticate against AFS automatically.

Ok, this is good news.
However, how do I convince openafs to install without PAM, as configure
halts when it doesn't find PAM?

--
ing. Andrei Boros
mailto:andrei@srr.ro / +40-21-303-1870