[OpenAFS] Partition capacity limit

Brian Huntley bhuntley@clarkson.edu
Thu, 7 Aug 2003 16:13:18 -0400

--=_alternative 006F14C485256D7B_=

Howdy all...

We have been an AFS site since '97 and just recently migrated from
Transarc/IBM AFS to OpenAFS.

One of the original administrators of the cell suggested to me that we be
careful not to allow our AFS vicepX partitions to go above ~83% utilized.
Apparently, at some version of AFS, as partitions got very full, volumes
began to get flaky (i.e., an ls would only produce 1/2 the records is
should, would randomly go off-line, etc.)

Is this still/was this ever an issue?  If so, it's a little discouraging
that I need to plan my partitions 20% larger than I really need, just to
leave the space empty.  I (accidentally) got a partition to 99% during our
migration, and didn't notice anything amiss...

Thoughts?

TIA!
-brian

--
Brian T. Huntley, Systems Administrator
Office of Information Technology

--=_alternative 006F14C485256D7B_=

just recently migrated from Transarc/IBM AFS to OpenAFS. &nbsp;</font>
the cell suggested to me that we be careful not to allow our AFS vicepX
partitions to go above ~83% utilized. &nbsp;Apparently, at some version
of AFS, as partitions got very full, volumes began to get flaky (i.e.,
an ls would only produce 1/2 the records is should, would randomly go off-line,
etc.) &nbsp;</font>
&nbsp;If so, it's a little discouraging that I need to plan my partitions
20% larger than I really need, just to leave the space empty. &nbsp;I (accidentally)
got a partition to 99% during our migration, and didn't notice anything
amiss...</font>
Brian T. Huntley, Systems Administrator<br>
Office of Information Technology<br>
Clarkson University<br>
bhuntley@clarkson.edu -- 315.268.6723<br>
&quot;UNIX *is* user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends
are.&quot;<br>
--=_alternative 006F14C485256D7B_=--