[OpenAFS] "RX call failed during dump" Message from VolserLog

Lester Barrows barrows@email.arc.nasa.gov
15 Aug 2003 19:52:30 -0700

Hi All,

A message appeared in the VolserLog file on our cell's primary server
during backups which appears to indicate that it failed on a dump:

Fri Aug 15 19:19:31 2003 1 Volser: DumpVolume: Rx call failed during
dump, error -1

After this, the tape drive rewound and started writing the next volume
in the dump set(!). The volume in question is an approximately 90GB data
repository, so I'm guessing that the Rx call timed out during the dump
and caused the dump to fail.

If this is what's happening, is there someplace in the code that I can
increase this timeout? If not, is there another change I could make to
prevent the failure from occuring? Does it represent a limit to the size
of a volume which can be backed up with this method? Perhaps it just
knows that it's Friday and I'm still at work? :-)

Regards,

Lester Barrows
Asani Solutions, LLC
Code IC Systems Group
NASA Ames Research Center

"Jura rapelcgvba vf bhgynjrq, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl."