[OpenAFS] Re: OpenAFS-info digest, Vo[OpenAFS-announce] OpenAFS 1.2.10

Ben Creech bpcreech@eos.ncsu.edu
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 14:31:31 -0400

Orca comes with the Platform SDK:
<http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/>
Look for orca.msi - it's a 2.4 megabyte file that comes in a 170 megabyte
package.  I hope you're not on a POTS line.

Anything Orca does with MSIs is just a bunch of calls to the MSI API
(msi.dll; it's already on your machine).  There is also a Windows Script
Host interface to the MSI engine that can be used to do most things from
VBScript or JavaScript.  It should be possible to write a build procedure
that builds the MSI, using Microsoft's documentation and sample scripts.

The build procedure would need to:
-Import a bunch of tables into a new MSI database (normally one just edits
the MSI database directly, but we should commit exported tables to CVS so
as to keep track of changes).
-Copy the compiled binaries into the source directory structure
-Update the file size/version/language information in the MSI
-Build and import a .cab file

I think the Platform SDK comes with sample scripts that do all of the above.

We also need a custom-action Dll to register afslogon.dll (I've already got
one for another project).

--On Monday, August 25, 2003 11:17 AM -0700 James Peterson