[OpenAFS] 1.2.10 build problems on 'linux from scratch'

Kevin Coffman kwc@citi.umich.edu
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 10:00:03 -0400

> > > Well, the "is sys_call_table exported" stuff might actually work right.
> >
> > I can probably build this on the machine where the kernel was
> > actually built.  Is there an equivalent of a 'make dest' for a
> > non-transarc-paths build?  (I can't do a 'make install' on that
> > machine.)
>
> make dest should still work, and create a different set of paths.

Building with all the right headers available makes a world of
difference.  'make prefix=/tmp/usr install' is more like what I
was looking for.

> > > Well, if nothing else is including it, it's needed. Are you using a
> > > versioned kernel? Without this, you should get a module with refs to
> > > sys_call_table and not sys_call_table_R12345678, which means the kernel
> > > module just won't load, unless you use insmod -f. We don't want people to
> > > use insmod -f.
> > >
> > > Is something else including it now?
> >
> > It doesn't exist, so no-one can be including it.  All I can tell you
> > is that the kernel module built from cvs head loaded without insmod -f.
> > This was on a different, but 'identical' machine.
>
> non-modversioned kernel? otherwise, i can't imagine how it might work.

If I have time, I'll try to figure this out.  I swear it worked!  ;-)