[OpenAFS] amanda-afs: Estimates return different sizes?

Mitch Collinsworth mitch@ccmr.cornell.edu
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:49:27 -0400 (EDT)

Hmm...  sounds like you have a permission problem somewhere.

If 'amanda' is your backup user then you should run your amanda
dumps normally as user 'amanda'.  When the gtar-wrapper.pl script
gets called it should be running as root, due to being invoked by
runtar, which should be installed setuid root.  Since
gtar-wrapper.pl runs as root, it can read the volume headers
directly off the disk in order to calculate estimates.

One thing to remember: at present you must run the amanda client
on your AFS fileserver(s).  Once 'vos size' is available and we
put out a version of amanda-afs that calls 'vos size' (RSN), it
will be possible to backup AFS fileservers from an amanda client
running on any AFS client.

-Mitch