[OpenAFS] Re: Windows TGS_REQ on alternate Netbios Names

Rodney M Dyer rmdyer@uncc.edu
Mon, 01 Dec 2003 12:14:36 -0500

Jeffrey,

(addendum)

At 03:59 PM 11/30/2003, Jeffrey Altman wrote:

>There are four possible directions which can be taken (in increasing order
>of preference and time to implement):

Thank you for your thoughtful and well spoken answers to my inquiries.

>The cache file is memory mapped.

So what exactly is the point of the AFS cache file then, I mean if the info
is going to be in the Windows swap file anyway?

>So this is likely causing 256MB of memory to be allocated and paged.

Ok yea, my experiment this morning confirmed this observation.

>   How much physical and paging memory do your systems have?

All the machines have 256 Meg physical memory with 384 Meg page initial,
768 Meg page max.
The AFS cache file is set to 256 Meg.

>When examining the afsd_service.exe process in the Task Manager, what are
>the values of the "Mem Usage" and "Handles" columns?

http://www.coe.uncc.edu/~rmdyer/afsd_service_tasklist.jpg

This was after I had stopped the AFS service, cleared the cache, started
AFS up, and copied a 640 Meg file from AFS to the local drive.

I suppose I can set a smaller AFS cache, but according to you there should
be some kind of sweet point where too low does little good, and too high is
diminished return, and worse a slow machine.  And this uglyness is
dependent on the amount of RAM a machine has.

Rodney