[OpenAFS] Re: Windows TGS_REQ on alternate Netbios Names

Rodney M Dyer rmdyer@uncc.edu
Mon, 01 Dec 2003 13:16:32 -0500

Jeffrey,

At 12:37 PM 12/1/2003, Jeffrey Altman wrote:

>One benefit that would seem obvious is that the cache file allows
>persistence across afsd_service invocations.

This in my view is not something that I would even consider as beneficial
these days especially if you can't create a big AFS cache in the first place.

>I wouldn't create a cache file larger than 32MB on these systems.

Ok, I suppose I'll have to drop it back down then.

>More importantly, the overall cache size and the chunk size should be
>determined based upon the usage patterns.  You should also be aware that
>for every allocated "chunk" there is one handle.  That means that a 256 MB
>cache with a 32kb chunk size is going to allocate 8192 handles.  The
>available handle count in the windows kernel is fixed.  Depending on what
>else you are executing, the allocation of 8192 handles could lead to an
>inability to create threads, start processes, open files, etc on the
>system.  I do not believe you should allow more than 1000 handles to be
>allocated to afsd.

Thanks for the observations.  I suppose it would be nice to write a usage
guide for new Windows users to keep them from shooting themselves in the
foot on all these issues.

Thanks,

Rodney