[OpenAFS] Windows cache problem revisited...

Rodney M Dyer rmdyer@uncc.edu
Thu, 04 Dec 2003 12:20:53 -0500

All,

I've been thinking a bit more about the problem I'm having with OpenAFS on
Windows 2k/XP.  When transfering large files to and from AFS the Windows OS
performance can slow down considerably, all most to the point of
non-usability.  To alleviate this problem I've been told not to use a large
AFS cache because the client service opens a real memory buffer that is the
same size as the cache file.  On closer examination I find this to be
ridiculous and intolerable.  The point of the AFS cache is to eliminate
multiple network reads for files that haven't changed on the network by
grabbing them off the local disk cache.  We should be able to, and most
people do, use very large caches.  I'm familiar with people using gig sized
caches these days.  Granted, depending on what your are doing, there will
be a point of diminishing returns with larger and larger cache sizes.  But
that is for me to decide!

I want to know why the AFS client service uses a real memory buffer in the
first place?  I want to know why you can't turn this 'feature' off?  Who
decided that the in-memory buffer would be a good idea?  Can we get this
changed?

Thanks ahead for any feedback (sorry for the rant),

Rodney

Rodney M. Dyer
Windows Systems Programmer
Mosaic Computing Group
William States Lee College of Engineering
Email: rmdyer@uncc.edu
Web: http://www.coe.uncc.edu/~rmdyer
Phone (704)687-3518
Help Desk Line (704)687-3150