[OpenAFS] Z:\ is not in the global hierarchy

Jason C. Wells jcw@highperformance.net
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 19:49:45 -0800 (PST)

One of the features of AFS is a common global name space.  The only
problem with that is Windows drive mappings don't adhere to the
/afs/cellname convention for the AFS root.

I have a simple scenario where files can be read via multiple platforms.
This is problematic for a file where an external file is LINKed to a path
of Z:/stradamotorsports.com rather than /afs/stradamotorsports.com.  A
windows client will read the linked file fine.  A unix client will not
find the linked file.

The problem gets really sticky with my Solidworks CAD models. The highly
interrelated models do not respond well to pathnames not being precisely
correct.

If I can't control the platform or the drive mapping of very computer on
the planet (I can't, at least as far as Uncle Sam will ever know.:)) then
I will certainly run into trouble when collaborating with other
organizations.

Will the windows client ever support global hierarchy that is consistent
with the conventions of the unix AFS '/afs/cellname' hierarchy?

How have other users managed the disparity between the unix AFS hierarchy
and the Windows AFS hierarchy?  Perhaps the need to access highly
interrelated files is unique to my situation, but I doubt it.

Later,
Jason C. Wells