[OpenAFS] Windows cache rehashed...

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:21:05 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Jeffrey Altman wrote:

> My favorite interview question to ask is "please describe for me an
> algorithm to sort a list of names."  Job applicants usually fall into
> three categories:

Gee, mine is "are you going to pull policy decisions out of where the sun
don't shine, and then hold them up as gospel and outside the realm of
discussion?"

> If you are going to use a large total cache size, then you must use a
> significantly larger block size. For a 256MB cache you may even have to
> use a block size as large as 128K (4000 cache slots) or even 256K (2000
> cache slots).

I would suggest at least 64k as a minimum, and *never* using anything
less. If your cache is only 56k total, our roving hit squad will be
right over. Go upward from there.

However:
10:20am:shadow@johnstown:palm:176> fs getca
AFS using 88446 of the cache's available 100000 1K byte blocks.

I'm not using 1k blocks. That's just how it prints its messages.