[OpenAFS] Windows cache rehashed...

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 09:58:44 -0800

Rodney M Dyer <rmdyer@uncc.edu> writes:

> P.S.  So far, I find it odd that many people here who also use AFS on
> Windows, yet apparently very few (via the lack of response), seem to
> have run into the same situation.  This leads me to believe that most
> people utilizing OpenAFS on Windows do so only for storage of
> application data which in the most likely case will be small files.  It
> also seems likely that there is very little roaming going on, as in a
> lab environment where many people are logging on and off a set of
> machines.

Windows has made it far too much of a pain for many reasons to try to run
Windows applications directly out of AFS.  For Windows, we use it for data
storage almost exclusively.  I don't consider this to be an AFS problem
per se, more a severe deficiency in the way applications are designed on
Windows, but I suppose it amounts to the same thing in the end since it's
not like you'll ever get an application vendor to listen to you.

> Do any of you (how many of you) also use AFS space for running
> applications from?  Big apps?  Many apps?

Yes, extensively, on most every brand of Unix.