[OpenAFS] Windows cache rehashed...

Rodney M Dyer rmdyer@uncc.edu
Mon, 22 Dec 2003 11:45:32 -0500

Jeffrey,

I downloaded and tested OpenAFS 1.3.51 using the same test I ran with
1.2.10.  The results are not encouraging.  In fact, the results show that
it fails in less time and with fewer files.

http://www.coe.uncc.edu/~rmdyer/test_8MB_afscache1351.jpg

This screenshot shows the results after I let the machine sit over the
weekend.  The handles did not drop as expected.

I must say I was rather dazed (blindsided) by the new 1.3.51 client.  There
are a good many operational characteristics changed from previous
versions.  I noted the following...

1.  A "FreelanceClient" setting.  Can someone explain what this is?  When
it is enabled, the client doesn't function properly.  Navigating down the
AFS tree of our cell results in...

      "n:\uncc\uncc\uncc\uncc\uncc..."

      I had to disable the setting to get the client to function properly.

2.  An associated "FreelanceClient" file called
"c:\winnt\afs_freelance.ini".  What is the purpose of this file?

3.  The historical operational service name is changed from "IBM AFS
Client" to "OpenAFS Client Service".

4.  The historical software directory tree has been relocated to
"c:\Program Files\OpenAFS" instead of "c:\program files\IBM\AFS".

5.  The installer has changed (expected from what I've been reading in this
list).

Anything else I should know about?  This could also be a shock to anyone
who has used the AFS client for as long as we have, or have scripts and
software tools that expect things to be in the old locations.  There's very
little hint on the OpenAFS web site about these legacy changes.

I don't disagree with the changes, I was just a bit shaken by them.

Rodney