[OpenAFS] Future of AFS? Interesting Ideas!?

Charles Clancy security@xauth.net
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 15:35:45 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:

> > Kerberos 5 seems be doing reasonably well in that regard ... I can use
> > it for SSO under Windows, Mac OS X, and most flavors of Unix.
>
> Let's see, my users have separate passwords for our Intranet site,
> Lotus Notes server, Windows domain, Unix systems, and VPN gateway.

Well, most places never achieve real single-signon.  However, since most
things (via PAM) support plain-text kerberos authentication, I'd think it
would make account management a whole lot simpler if everyone only had one
password.

Even for your site, if you switch Outlook for Lotus, and use ADS as your
KDC, you could consolidate user accounts down to just ADS, and even throw
in a little OpenAFS without too much difficulty.

[ t charles clancy ]--[ tclancy@uiuc.edu ]--[ www.uiuc.edu/~tclancy ]