[OpenAFS] migrating / updating afs

Paul Blackburn mpb@est.ibm.com
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 15:42:45 +0000

Hello Forrest,

One of the benefits of running multiple servers in a cell
is that you can juggle your AFS data around thus "freeing up"
an old server so that you can do maintenance with no disruption
to cell users.

I have done this many times in cells where we had 3 dedicated database
and separate dedicated fileservers.

There is a small impact (users may see some delay in authenticating)
if you take down 1 of 3 dedicated fileservers for re-installing.

With dedicated fileservers, it's possible to move all the AFS volumes
from "old" fileserver to new "standby" fileserver, upgrade "old"
fileserver and continue. No outages.

AFS is sweet.
--
cheers