[OpenAFS] Extremely poor write performance.

Rubino Geiß kb44@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 00:46:51 +0100

Hi Jimmy,

> Rubino Geiß <kb44@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de> writes:
>
> > We are in production over a year now. Some of us are quite
> satisfied.
> > Especially the admin, but there is something not right if
> it comes to
> > deleting files in AFS!!!
>
> Are you running ext3 on your fileserver ?
> In the case i tested deleteperformance was very bad when using ext3.

We are using ext3 but with "data=journal". In this case your table shows:
3291 removing 50M data (oper/s) for ext3 and only
1967 removing 50M data (oper/s) for reiserfs

plus we have tested reiser and found it slower than ext3 with data=journal
(as allways in our testcase/settings).

> Run afsfsperf and compare it with my numbers:

http://www.e.kth.se/~jimmy/afsfsperf/afsfsperf.html

I'm trying to compile it...

Thank you for your help,
Ruby