OT: makefiles was: Re: [OpenAFS] Extremely poor write performance.

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
17 Jan 2003 10:38:52 -0500

Martin Schulz <schulz@iwrmm.math.uni-karlsruhe.de> writes:

> After all, you could still put your cvs sandbox on a local filesystem
> and put a symlink on it. The downside is clear: You are forced to
> check in/ check out evertime you change your client machine. If you
> have your personal client machine on your desk, this is okay, but in
> some student pool, this may not be worth the hassle.

Actually, what I used to do was have the CVS source checkout in AFS
but then I would do:

        lndir ~/src/package /tmp/package

Then I could perform the build locally but have all the sources
in AFS.  Once I got it working I could move the build-tree into
AFS (or not).

> This is just an workaround, it would be nice to fix the basic problem though.

Agreed, just a workaround..  But it is always going to be faster to
write to local disk than network disk.  My local bus is always going
to be faster and shared by fewer people.

-derek