[OpenAFS] Machine crashing after accidental unmount of /afs

Brian Sebby sebby@anl.gov
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 11:37:23 -0600

We have a Solaris 8 machine here that recently moved to using the AFS cache
manager after using the AFS->NFS translator for a long time.  However, we
neglected to remove some scripts that did a 'umount /afs' for the translator,
and our cache manager based /afs was unmounted.  Shortly after that, while
trying to track the problem down, the system crashed twice, once when I ran
"w" and once when I ran "ps".

My working theory is that with the kernel in an unstable state after the /afs
unmount, these commands that access the kernel caused it to panic.  Could
anyone confirm or deny this theory for me?

Thanks,

Brian Sebby

--
Brian Sebby  (sebby@anl.gov)  |  Distributed Computing Administration
Phone: +1 630.252.9935        |  Electronics and Computing Technologies