[OpenAFS] Making read locks mutually exclusive

Peter Schuller peter.schuller@infidyne.com
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 18:58:21 +0100

Hello,

is there a way to make OpenAFS treat read locks as mutually exclusive,
other than modifying the source? If no, could someone point me in the
general directon as to where this stuff is handled on the server side
(in terms of which part(s) of the source)?

I'm trying to prevent users of Office and similar Windows apps to overwrite
each other's changes. During testing I experienced some unexpected
behavior.

If I open a Word document and save it (or create a new one) one machine
A, and open it on machine B, Word on machine B will say it's write
protected [this is the desired, but unexpected, result]. Yet, I
assume machine A isn't keeping the write lock around after the file
is written, so why does machine B react like it does?

If I just open the file on machine A, and then on B, both will be opened
in read/write mode (in Word land, not in filesystem land)
[expected but undesirable behavior].

Thanks,

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>'
Key retrival: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey@scode.org