[OpenAFS] lost contact with volume location server

scode@infidyne.com scode@infidyne.com
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 12:33:49 +0100

> This is OpenAFS 1.2.8 on Linux.
>
> After reinstallation of OpenAFS (I think I have erased all old files)
> I now get
> lost contact with volume location server <localhost-inet>
>
> and then
> afsd: Can't mount AFS on /afs
>
> What's the reasson.
> Even more important: how can I help myself in
> looking up possible reasons/explanations of such an
> error message?

It should print an error code in parenthesis at the end of the line above.
That's the value of the "errno" variable. You can check the manpage of the
"mount" syscall to see what the possible errors codes are, and then try to
find the number in the kernel source.

Personally, I get 22 which is EINVAL (in other words, "invalid argument").

I've tried to track it down, but I don't know enough about Linux kernel
modules to do much good :( Plus, the afs module seems to use some extra
level of indirecting when things are invoked (afs_syscall), which doesn't
help me understand what's going on.

(Hint hint, anyone? :))

> And when I stop afs I get a kernel error message:
> Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address ....

This is the EXACT same problem I keep having. So far I haven't been able to
solve it :(

I am also getting those oopses sometimes when unloading the openafs module
after afsd has been started. Additionally, afsd cannot be killed to beging
with, even with -9. I have to reboot.

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>'
Key retrival: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey@scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller@infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org