[OpenAFS] Upgrading Transarc servers

Hartmut Reuter reuter@rzg.mpg.de
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 17:38:23 +0100

Depends on the architectures your fileservers are running on. For Linux
and NT Transarc had implemented the NAMEI-interface where you don't need
a special fsck. Here everything should be ok.

On the other architectures I suggest to use also the NAMEI-interface for
  some reasons:

1) You get rid of the special fsck (may be a problem with software RAIDs
etc)

2) salvage of single volumes is much faster because all files of a
volume group are under the same directory

3) you can dump or tar and restore partitions and you can see the files.

If you switch between the traditional mechanism and NAMEI you have to
move the volumes by "vos move" because the NAMEI-fileserver does not
understand the traditional partition and vice versa.

If you keep using the traditional mechanism you schould be able to just
start the new binaries with the old partitions.

-Hartmut