[OpenAFS] OpenAFS hangs during cp -r

Maarten de Boer mdeboer@iua.upf.es
Mon, 7 Jul 2003 15:51:56 +0200

Hello,

I am new on the list. Please tell me if another list would be more
appropriate for my question.

I just installed OpenAFS 1.2.9 with Kerberos V on a Debian GNU/Linux
server (Woody), kernel 2.4.20. I found the installation rather painfull,
but in the end I seem to have succeeded. So I proceeded with some tests.
On the client machine (also 2.4.20), I can mount the afs share, and
create files etc. But a simple  "cp -r" hangs.

root@mtg31:/afs/.iua/home/mdeboer# cp -r /usr/share/doc .

I open another shell, and do I "find" to see how much got copied before it
hangs:

root@mtg31:/afs/.iua/home/mdeboer# find doc/  | wc -l
    145

Well.. It did not get very far...

root@mtg31:/usr/share# find doc/ | wc -l
  12911

Now, even worse: I just did

root@mtg31:/afs/.iua/home/mdeboer# find
.
Segmentation fault

!!

I was under the impression that OpenAFS is stable enough to be used
for production, but I have to see that so far, I find this not very
encouraging :-(

Another question: df gives me a strange result:

iua-file:/afs/.iua/home/mdeboer# df
[...]
/dev/sda8             63591528     35184  60326076   1% /vicepa
AFS                    9000000         0   9000000   0% /afs

Should /afs be the same size (more or less) as /vicepa ?

I should mention that the client machine is not a stock 2.4.20 kernel,
but has the "lowlatency" and "preemptible" patches applied. The filesystem
of /vicepa is ext3

Any suggestions?

Maarten