[OpenAFS] Mail delivery into OpenAFS

Noel Burton-Krahn noel@bkbox.com
Mon, 7 Jul 2003 09:53:39 -0700

I've been running mail and everything else in AFS for quite a while, and it
works great.  Qmail delivers to a user's AFS home, Courier IMAP reads it,
and users use Express, Outlook, Eudora, whatever.  It's great because the
mail counts towards the user's quota, and users can archive messages by
dragging them off their AFS drive. Here are some notes:

qmail delivers to ~/Maildir
* I modified qmail-local to get AFS tokens.
* I had to be careful to get the ACLs right: the mail daemon can add and
delete messages, but not read them
* ~/.qmail files have to be links to mail-daemon-readable directories
* I'm going to modify qmail to make Windows-friendly names so users can
double-click message file to open in Express.

SpamAssassin saves to a user's ".Spam" folder, which is cleaned every few
days.

Courier-IMAP reads ~/Maildir
* I modified courier's authpam to get AFS tokens

sqwebmail
* I've modified Apache to get AFS tokens so sqwebmail can read Maildirs
directly without extra auth

I'd be glad to help you set this up.  I've also made a canned version of
this for small offices (www.bkbox.com)

Noel Burton-Krahn
noel@bkbox.com