[OpenAFS] Red Hat 7.3 bigmem kernel modules

Lee Damon nomad@ssli-mail.ee.washington.edu
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:37:53 -0700

Kernel: Red Hat 7.3 2.4.20-18.7bigmem
OpenAFS version: 1.2.9
Processor: p4 Xeon (dual-proc SMP)
RAM: 4GB
UNAME: Linux bird47 2.4.20-18.7bigmem #1 SMP Thu May 29 06:59:28 EDT 2003 i686 unknown

We just received our first systems with 4GB of RAM.  All of a sudden
we're using the bigmem kernel instead of the regular ones.

As far as I can tell a patch to support these kernels was done in 1.2.4.
However, I can't seem to get a useful kernel built.   I get everything
from the below quoted error message to simple panics.

Since I'm lame and can't find anything anywhere that says how I should
be building bigmem kernels (as opposed to what I've been doing for the
past several months to build regular ones) I seem to have no choice but
to further bother and annoy the people here with my query.

  Hmm...  I can't seem to find an AFS kernel module suitable for your Linux
  kernel.  That means you will need to build or obtain a suitable module.
  The following information may be of some use in obtaining assistance:
  CPU Type:       1586.intel.2
  Linux version:  2.4.20-18.7bigmem #1 SMP Thu May 29 06:59:28 EDT 2003
  RedHat release: Red Hat Linux release 7.3 (Valhalla)
  Symbol versions:
    iget4      smp_bf04748e
    iget4      smp_bf04748e
    sock_create smp_750003c9
  Did not find matching module in SymTable
  AFS module /usr/vice/etc/modload/libafs-2.4.20-18.7bigmem.mp.o does not exist. Not starting AFS.

I've tried the obvious stuff like copying libafs-2.4.20-18.7.mp.o to
libafs-2.4.20-18.7bigmem.mp.o and building with the makefile modified
to use LINUX_VERS=2.4.20-18.7bigmem on a system that was running the
bigmem kernel at the time of the configure and make.

Any hints would be appreciated.

thanks,
nomad
 -----------                       - Lee "nomad" Damon -          \
work: nomad@ee.washington.edu                                      \
play: nomad@castle.org    or castle!nomad                           \
                                                                    /\
Sr. Systems Admin, UWEE SSLI Lab                                   /  \
                "Celebrate Diversity"                             /    \