[OpenAFS] migrating /usr/afs/db/kaserver.*

Robin Yamaguchi rhy@physics.ucsb.edu
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 14:28:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I'm going through the process of a bare-metal restore on our AFS server for
testing purposes.  On a 2nd machine, running the same OS (redhat 9) and
same version on OpenAFS (1.2.9).  I got the AFS server running in a new
cell w/ no problem.

To restore my ka and pt entries, I copied over /usr/afs/db/kaserver.* and
/usr/afs/db/ptserver.* files from the 1st machine to the 2nd, properly
shutting down those services before touching those files on both machines.

Upon starting ka and pt, I can no longer authenticate.  I always get a
"user doesn't exist" error when I klog.  However, when I mistype the
password, I get an incorrect password error.  "kas list" and "pts
listentries" displayes all the users from the 1st server as expected.

I created a new server key, and checked that the key 0 checksum was the
same for "bos listkey" vs. "kas examine afs".  That didn't solve anything.
I also tried copying the KeyFile from server 1, but still no results.

I straced the kaserver process, and it indeed is seeing my klog requests,
so I think I'm configured correctly for the right cell.
/usr/vice/etc/CellServDV and ThisCell point correctly to my 2nd cell and
2nd server.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I've been ramming my head
against my desk all morning.

thank you,
Robin Yamaguchi