[OpenAFS] OpenAFS on Linux 2.5.x

Steven Jenkins steven.jenkins@ieee.org
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 20:42:39 -0700

Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> Here's the thing: I can spend time fixing code, or I can spend time
> arguing with people about patches to make it work now. I only have so much
> time. This comes back to the original comment you thought was arrogant.
>
> If I have fewer hours than I need to do everything I'd rather fix things
> than argue with people about the changes we need to work at all. Your
> point (I think it was your point) that no one else was doing it is true.
> No one's volunteering, and I don't have money to hire an arguer;-)

I've been thinking about this.

There are some large organizations out there with serious and
longstanding institutional commitments to AFS. A few that come to mind
are MIT, Stanford, Michigan, CMU, Jet Propulsion Laboratory (where I
work), CERN, Morgan Stanley. I know there are others.

I'm concerned about AFS not running on Linux 2.6. Other organizations
may have the concern. Solving this problem will require writing code,
but it will also require convincing the Linux kernel developers to
incorporate the code. From previous discussion on this list, it seems
that may not be easy.

It's too much to ask the OpenAFS developers to also be our user
advocates. First of all, they don't have the time. But they also don't
represent the user base in any official capacity, and maybe that's what
we need to fix.

What do people think about forming an advocacy group? Maybe we'll make
more headway with the Linux team if we ask them, as major organizational
  users of AFS, to help ensure that Linux in particular and open source
software in general continues to be responsive to our needs.

I'm sure I could arrange for some support for such an effort at JPL. I
don't think it'll require much.

Comments? Suggestions?

Steve