[OpenAFS] OpenAFS on Linux 2.5.x

Steven Jenkins steven.jenkins@ieee.org
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 21:32:23 -0700

Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Steven Jenkins wrote:
>>I'm concerned about AFS not running on Linux 2.6. Other organizations
>>may have the concern. Solving this problem will require writing code,
>>but it will also require convincing the Linux kernel developers to
>>incorporate the code. From previous discussion on this list, it seems
>>that may not be easy.
>

> Well, worst case is people who care patch their kernels, but that's a high
> burden. It won't be "impossible". It will just be "annoying".

Yes, it's a high burden. Especially if commercial application vendors
insist on an unmodified kernel as a condition of software support.
Organizations may have to choose between AFS and a flagship application
like a CAD system, ERP system, etc. Not a good thing.

> I suspect most of the problem goes away if Linux kernel vendors are forced
> by their paying customers to ship kernels supporting AFS. People who build
> from kernel.org source are already building: asking them to apply patches
> isn't horrid. CMU doesn't pay anyone, so we're pretty useless there.

Good point. Many large organizations will be using a commercially
packaged Linux, I suspect.

> Of course, I assume this leaves Debian out in the cold, so it's not really
> desirable.

I don't follow you here. Does Debian insist on stock kernels? Seems like
Debian users would be more likely to be able to patch a kernel. (I don't
know much about Debian. Red Hat is our "official" Linux at work and I
run Gentoo at home.)

>>What do people think about forming an advocacy group? Maybe we'll make
>>more headway with the Linux team if we ask them, as major organizational
>>  users of AFS, to help ensure that Linux in particular and open source
>>software in general continues to be responsive to our needs.
>

> I think it's a good idea. I'm not sure it will get us anything, but the
> effort involved seems in range for a gamble, which is what this would be.

Good. Let's see what other people think. I agree, there's not much risk.

Steve