[OpenAFS] OpenAFS on Linux 2.5.x

Tino Schwarze tino.schwarze@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 07:59:54 +0200

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 08:42:39PM -0700, Steven Jenkins wrote:

> What do people think about forming an advocacy group? Maybe we'll make
> more headway with the Linux team if we ask them, as major organizational
> users of AFS, to help ensure that Linux in particular and open source
> software in general continues to be responsive to our needs.

I don't think that this will get us anywhere with regard to Linux kernel
support. The kernel developers have always ignored political issues.
They only care for the technical side (which is a good thing IMO, but
for AFS it is a bit unfortunate now). Therefore, if they say "no" to a
patch from an AFS developer, they will also say "no" to the same patch
from "International OpenAFS User Group".

Without knowing all the details, I guess that our only chance to get
something into the kernel is to listen what "they" want and adapt to
"their" needs.

Bye, Tino.

--
             * LINUX - Where do you want to be tomorrow? *
                  http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/linux/tag/