[OpenAFS] OpenAFS on Linux 2.5.x

Adrian Knoth adi@drcomp.erfurt.thur.de
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 18:41:35 +0200

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 08:59:52AM -0700, Steven Jenkins wrote:

> The way to succeed (if any way exists), is to convince the Linux
> developers in good faith that supporting AFS advances *their* mission,

That's right. We're (CS-faculty of Jena University) using a AFS-root-
Debian-Installation for our computer-pools (student's workstations)
in order not to have

  1st) so much administrative overhead
  2nd) pool-consistency between machines
  3rd) fast integration of new machines

In fact there is almost no need for human administration at all, apt-get
does the job very well, all machines are in sync (sure, because there
is no local installation, just the afs-cache on disc)

We're glad. We'd like to do the same with Tru64, Win2k or BSD, but
they are all lacking prerequisits. Linux is the only platform for
such a project. Actually, Linux-2.4 is the only kernel at all.

Linux-2.5/2.6 has no AFS-support and Linux-2.2 has no bind-mount.

We'd like to see AFS working with 2.6 again. If it'd be helpful I'd
create a overview-documentation. To say it in short terms: it is
really cool, it's a nice solution for everyone who needs to run
several machines without the drawbacks of NFSROOT-installations (network-
bottlenecks, host-trust-security-flaws and so on)

--
mail: adi@thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP: v2-key via keyserver

Mit Apachen ist gut quatschen