[OpenAFS] backing up afs (linux)

Robin Yamaguchi rhy@physics.ucsb.edu
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 14:44:44 -0700 (PDT)

I do the same, and killall butc at the end of the script.  I prefer not to
have butc running at all times, so we don't have to remember to kill it
when we restore - this I prefer to run from a console window since
some restores span tapes.

Remember that there is ~2.5 gig limit if butc is writing to a file.  If
running in the background, and your dump reaches that limit, butc will
prompt for another "tape."  Since the process is backgrounded, from my
experiences, butc then goes crazy and hogs all the CPU.

-Robin

Robin H. Yamaguchi
Physics Computing Services
UC Santa Barbara