[OpenAFS] General crossrealm setup

Chris McClimans Chris.McClimans@ttu.edu
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 14:30:55 -0500

I'm trying to allow users that only exist in a foreign realm, to have
an afs user and unix/ldap information for my department automatically
created the first time they login. I may be going about this all wrong,
but I wanted to get this in front of some other afs folks for more
discussion.

We want to standardize the unix ID used across campus (the unix UID
gecos field). Currently all departments have there own ideas and
databases on NIS, NIS+, files, departmental LDAP, etc. The main IT
department on campus is using Microsoft AD/LDAP and KDC's. So I'd like
to base all my unix/afs information on data available in the Campus
wide AD/LDAP and KDC.

Our department has a cross realm relationship between CAMPUS.EDU and
CS.CAMPUS.EDU realms, so any student or faculty can authenticate and
get a kerberos tgt from CAMPUS.EDU and service tickets for the CS
department from CS.CAMPUS.EDU. Microsoft AD/LDAP has an attribute
called usnCreated for every user and group. I was considering using
this relatively low integer as the unix UID for afs and ldap. This way
all departments across campus, could use the same unix UID for each
student if they wanted.

Since I currently have an empty /etc/passwd so to speak, should I
actually worry about trying to get unix UID's to be the same across
campus and afs? Also, since I may have all the groups and usernames
available ahead of time, should I go ahead and populate afs and ldap
before initial login?
-chris