[OpenAFS] restoring root.cell (RW) when main server dies....

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 18:28:39 -0400

On Friday, July 25, 2003 15:49:37 -0400 Phil.Moore@morganstanley.com wrote:

> Derek> vos dump | vos restore
>
> May I respecfully suggest that you *always* use an intermediate file
> for this kind of data migration?
>
> Yes, Derek, I know you're paraphrasing, but seriously, if you screw up
> the vos restore arguments, then vos dump dies with a SIGPIPE, and
> leave the volume transaction hanging.
>
> The timeout for those transactions is on the order of minutes, so if
> you are doing this en masse, or doing this in an emergency, that 5
> minute (or whatever it is) timeout can be painful.

Of course, if you do find yourself in this situation, you can use 'vos
unlock' to unlock the VLDB entry, and abort the dump-in-progress by killing
the volserver (send it SIGTERM; the bosserver will restart it
automatically.  Do _not_ send any signals to the fileserver).

But I agree, it is better to avoid the problem entirely.

-- Jeff