[OpenAFS] with or without krb5 and openldap?

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
30 Jul 2003 21:41:56 -0400

Karl Bowden <kbowden@pacificspeed.com.au> writes:

> I found using /etc/passwd distributing messy. Would Krb5 and OpenLDAP w/
> SASL support, be the best configuration?

Well, I'm not sure about "best", but it would certainly be fine...
There are certainly alternatives (you could use NIS or Hesiod instead
of LDAP), but it's certainly sufficient.

> Is there any time frame for OpenAFS support for 2.6.x series kernels (I
> have grown fond of alsa, and other extras in 2.6)? I would like to be
> have testing branches for 2.6 as soon as OpenAFS is ready, to allow good
> testing of 2.6 for migration when ready.

AFAIK nobody has begun working on it, and there are going to be a
couple obstacles to overcome (namely how to get into the kernel and
deal with PAGs).

> Is there any options (compile or run-time) to create no-expire tokens?
> (I do a LOT of compiling, and having to klog every day gets messy ;-).

Nope.  Run a user-space daemon to re-authenticate you.

> Is it possible to build the OpenAFS module directly into the linux
> kernel (I compile a few kernel patches in already now, what's another
> one :-)?

Nope.

> -Karl

-derek