[OpenAFS] read-write replication in other fs's

Paul Blackburn mpb@acm.org
Tue, 03 Jun 2003 18:28:12 +0100

If we think about it, we can see that a distributed file system that has
RW replication
has tremendous problems of keeping RW data in synchronisation
across multiple clients and multiple servers over WAN.

Perhaps it is as unreachable as the Holy Grail
and maybe not worth the effort to find it?

Back in the real world, we "spread the risk" by using  multiple
fileservers and spreading data across them evenly. The theory being
that if you have N servers and one fails then the impact affects
one in N people. So, we make make N as big as we can afford.

The other side-effect of using multiple fileservers (and spreading RW
data evenly) is that processing load is distributed and performance
improved.
--
cheers
paul                              http://acm.org/~mpb

"*twwwwack*  Dunngg!
 Message for you Sir!"       --Monty Python and the Holy Grail