[OpenAFS] RE: read-write replication in other fs's

Nathan Neulinger nneul@umr.edu
03 Jun 2003 18:20:47 -0500

On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 17:55, Frank J. Cameron wrote:
> Microsoft's Dfs does not implement (at least what I consider to be)
> true, full read-write replication.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/distsys/part3/dsgch18.asp

THANKS! That's exactly what I wanted to know!

> I can't find it now; but, I had another Microsoft document that
> recommended not replicating data that changes frequently (especially
> when changed by different clients).
>
> However that the first failure case is what happens when AFS ignores
> byte-range locks.

Working on it... it's a low priority though since it doesn't really
benefit our usage much on unix.

Key in my implementation plan is to make as much functionality as is
possible without nightmarish protocol changes... basically a client side
lock manager with locks upgraded to whole-file locks on the server as
needed. That will take care of most of the issues with byte range locks
- where a single client will be able to do the locking, and it will
prevent clobbering between different clients since the locks will
upgrade as needed on the server itself.

-- Nathan