[OpenAFS] OpenAFS and Krb5 on Win98

Charles Clancy security@xauth.net
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 23:12:44 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Lukas Kubin wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Ken Hornstein wrote:
>
> > >Please, my question still remains unanswered. Does anybody know of any way
> > >how to make Krb5/OpenAFS work on Windows 98?
> >
> > There are a number of PC-based aklog programs out there; do those work
> > under 98?
>
> Until now, I've found only aklog.exe from Wake, which is for Windows
> NT/2000. Tried it unsuccesfully.
> Can anybody point me to any aklog I could try on Windows?

The aklog.exe from the NRL/CMF krb5 distro works fine on Win98.  There's
on option on the Win98 client to disable kaserver authentication, which
folks at IBM added at my request (originally it wouldn't mount the
filesystem until you'd successfully done a kaserver authentication).

Wake is a Win2K/XP thing and is completely meaningless on Win9x/ME, as
they don't have built-in support for kerberos authentication.  Wake
combines ms2mit and aklog, to get an AFS token from a Microsoft-style krb5
TGT, but Win9x/ME doesn't support the Microsoft-style krb5 TGTs.

Best bet: download krb5-win32.exe from ftp.cmf.nrl.navy.mil.  It has a
krb5 client and a functional aklog.exe.  Install Win9x version of the
OpenAFS client, and be sure to start it with the appropriate command line
argument to disable kaserver authentication.  It should all just work.

[ t. charles clancy ]--[ tclancy@uiuc.edu ]--[ www.uiuc.edu/~tclancy ]